Friday, December 20, 2013

Story # 10

Name: Yahya John Trento 
Former religion: Catholic  

Born into a Catholic Italian American family, without any real interest in teaching nor applying the Catholic religion, I slowly but surely began to question the oft repeated empty "beliefs" of my family concerning the god-ship of Jesus upon him be peace, and began to wonder who really created us and why?


At the age of 15 or so living in Brooklyn NY I was exposed to a lot of races, nationalities, religions, and thus my interest was sparked into looking into those different ideologies. I began to search about any and all major religions, in the mean while I was just like any American teen, listening to music, and through Wu Tang Clan an American Rap Group, I first heard Islamic words, and that is what prompted me to read more about their version of "Islam" and later on True Islam.

Obviously during this time I was doing "normal" activities for an American youth, I was into the "Gang" culture with my friends, Rap Music, Hanging out etc, But all Praise is due to Allah I never got in deep trouble. He is the one who took me out of that darkness of Ignorance to the Light of Islam.

Through those times, often through hardships one goes on to search for a higher power, and through the hardships I faced with family, friends, with living in not so good neighborhoods, it gave me all the more reason to want to know why am I alive? Why am I here? Who created me? How do I become a better person? And thus, I began my journey to find out the true reason of our creation, Which is to worship our Creator, Allah, Alone.

I studied Islam and other religions for maybe 2-3 years until finally I decided to go out and buy a Quran Translation, I read it, and I was hooked. I knew right away that this is has to be the right religion. It all made sense. Finally one night at the age of a early 19 I listened to the Quran being recited through the Internet for the first time, The first chapter in the Quran, Surah Al-Faatihah. I began to cry, I couldn't linguistically understand a word being said, but what I did understand was the meaning of the Oneness of Allah, the Meaning of this being His Guidance and His mercy and His Word, this touched my heart. On that night around 12 years ago I decided once and for all this is my religion.

The Next day I went to a local Masjid pronounced the Testimony of Faith, In that I bear Witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is His Slave and final Messenger, and began my new life as a Muslim.

Eventually I got accepted to Study Arabic and Islamic studies in King Saud University in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. I completed the Arabic Program and now I am currently in the 3rd year of the BA for Islamic Education with a Major in Islamic Jurisprudence.
Brother Yahya John Trento's Facebook Page: link

No comments:

Post a Comment